Monday, December 16, 2013

Listservs: knowledge or info sharing? Effective use helps with both - a holiday jingle


I recently began moderating a new email discussion list. Now -- one  may say they are "old school" but for some communities they still serve a very useful function -- if used appropriately ;-).

In the spirit of the holiday season, the following reminders fell into order to align with the familiar cadence of a traditional Christmas tune. You know how to fill in the blanks. Enjoy! And if you have a group that is in need of gentle reminders .... Feel free to redistribute (attribution is appreciated).

12 ways of listserv etiquette (sung to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas)
© Lorri Zipperer 2013
(thanks to Ruth Ryan and Susan Carr for their editorial comments)

My first day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
A proof-read reply is preferred

My second day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
Please sign your name ... 

My third day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
No “me too’s” ... 

My fourth day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
This isn’t Twitter! ... 

My fifth day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
Remove banners from other posts! ... 

My sixth day on the listserv, the moderator said to me…
No published attachments ... 

My seventh day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:
Search archives for answers ... 

My eighth day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:
Change “subject” as needed ... 

My ninth day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:
Always be polite ... 

My tenth day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:
Address as appropriate ... 

My eleventh day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:
Curtail repetition ... 

My twelfth day on the listserv, my moderator said to me:

Talk off-line and recap ... Curtail repetition ... Address as appropriate ... Always be polite ... Change “subject” as needed ...Search archives for answers ... No published attachments ... Remove banners from other posts! ... This isn’t Twitter! ... No “me too’s” ... Please sign your name ... A proof-read reply is preferred.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: